Cort Pü Inalt
|The Cort Pü Inalt|
The Cort Pü Inalt ([koɾt py ɨnˈaɬt] ( )), or Uppermost Court, is the chief judicial body in Talossa, responsible for interpreting the laws of the Ziu or Prime Dictates of the Seneschal, in light of the Organic Law and the principles of the nation. It is the court of last resort for all judicial verdicts. It consists of five justices, nominated by the Ziu and confirmed by the King. Justices serve at the pleasure of the Ziu, and may be recalled or replaced by an act of that body. The Uppermost Court underwent significant changes during the 47th Cosa which included increasing the court size to five justices.
When hearing arguments or rendering decisions, the Organic Law requires that the justices of the Cort Pü Inalt wear official judicial wigs. Precedent has been established such that draping a paper napkin over the judicial pate is sufficient to satisfy this Organic requirement.
An inferior court, the Magistracy, was instituted by the Ziu to supplement the Cort Pü Inalt's ability to manage their burden. The Clerk of Courts is an appointed position that receives cases and presents them to the Cort Pü Inalt.
|Dame Litz Cjantscheir, UrN||Senior Justice||1 Mar 2014/XXXV (46RZ03)||Asmourescu|
|Owen Edwards||Puisne Justice||22 Apr 2015/XXXVI (47RZ40)||new seat|
|Viteu Marcianüs||Puisne Justice||29 Feb 2020/XLI (54RZ11)||Ardpresteir|
|Two vacant seats|
The terms "Senior" and "Puisne" (earlier, "Associate") were only introduced later. Weston Erni was the first to bear the title of Senior Justice, and also the first Justice that was appointed to replace one of the three original members.
Some nominations were rejected by the Ziu:
- Former Seneschal Robert Murphy in 1989, to succeed Justice Lauriéir, defeated 38-133 after Murphy announced Peculiarist ideas in stark contrast with the then-PC majority; Lauriéir was found to have never legally resigned, and went on to retire the following year.
- Former Seneschal Sir Samuhel Tecladeir in 2009, to the vacant seat held by retiring Senior Justice Ian von Metáiriâ; eventually, Fritz von Buchholtz was confirmed a few months later.
Justices who have served as Senior Justice are marked in bold.
|Justice||Position||Appointed on||Replacing||Stepped down on||Reason|
|Txec Róibeard Nordselva||Puisne Justice||22 Apr 2015/XXXVI||new seat||08 Aug 2020/XLI||Retired|
|Ián M.T. Tamorán, S.H.||Senior Justice||31 May 2012/XXXIII (43RZ30)||Castiglha||31 March 2020/XLI||Retired|
|Béneditsch Ardpresteir||Puisne Justice||22 Apr 2015/XXXVI (47RZ40)||new seat||23 Sept 2018/XXXIX||Resigned|
|Timoþi T.M. Asmourescu||Puisne Justice||1 Jun 2012/XXXIII (43RZ30)||Siervicül||4 Jan 2014/XXXV||Resigned|
|Sir Tamorán dal Navâ, UrN||Senior Justice||31 May 2012/XXXIII (43RZ30)||von Buchholtz||21 Jun 2014/XXXV||Retired|
|The Lord von Buchholtz||Puisne Justice||22 Dec 2009/XXX (40RZ22)||von Metáiriâ (4)||3 May 2012/XXXIII||Retired|
|Sir Cresti M. Siervicül, UrN||Puisne and Senior||22 Nov 2005/XXVI (35RZ19)||Moisan||23 May 2012/XXXIII||Removed by 43RZ21|
|The Lord Castiglha||Puisne Justice||22 Sep 2006/XXVII (36RZ06)||Laurieir (2)||23 May 2012/XXXIII||Removed by 43RZ22|
|The Duke von Metáiriâ (3)||Puisne and Senior||22 Nov 2005/XXVI (35RZ18)||Velmeir||late 2009||No longer a citizen|
|The Count Lauriéir (2)||Puisne and Senior||23 Aug 2004/XXV (33RZ03)||Verbotten (2)||late 2006||Retired|
|Marc Moisan||Puisne Justice||24 Dec 2004/XXV (33RZ17)||von Metáiriâ (3)||late 2005||No longer a citizen|
|The Duke von Metáiriâ (3)||Puisne Justice||30 Oct 2003/XXIV (32RZ05)||Muth||4 Nov 2004/XXV||Resigned|
|Art Verbotten (2)||Puisne Justice||Oct 1999/XX (26RZ02)||von Metáiriâ (2)||14 Apr 2004/XXV||No longer a citizen|
|Cheneþ Velméir||Puisne and Senior||Jun 1998/XIX (24RZ17)||Buffone||20 Aug 2005/XXVI||No longer a citizen|
|Matthias Muth||Puisne and Senior||Sep 1997/XVIII (23RZ08)||Verbotten (1)||Oct 2003/XXIV||Retired|
|Thomas Buffone||Puisne Justice||Sep 1997/XVIII (23RZ07)||Toumayan||May 1998/XIX||Removed by 24RZ06|
|Geoffrey Toumayan||Puisne Justice||Mar 1997/XVIII||Erni||August 1997/XVIII||Retired|
|Art Verbotten (1)||Puisne Justice||Dec 1993/XIV (17RZ09)||Kovac||August 1997/XVIII||Retired|
|Ián von Metáiriâ (2)||Puisne and Senior||1993/XIV (16RZ30)||Schneider||1999/XX||Retired|
|Nicholas Kovac||-||1993/XIV (16RZ08)||Madison||1993/XIV||Removed by 17RZ09|
|Jack Schneider||-||1991/XII (13RZ12)||Laurieir (1) ?||1993/XIV||Removed by 16RZ30|
|Weston Erni||Senior Justice||Nov 1990/XI (12RZ14)||von Metáiriâ (1)||March 1997/XVIII||Retired|
|Danihel Lauriéir (1)||-||1987/VIII (6RZ13)||Cort estabilished||24 November 1990/XI||Retired|
|Ben Madison||-||1987/VIII (6RZ13)||Cort estabilished||1993/XIV||Retired|
|Ián von Metáiriâ (1)||-||1987/VIII (6RZ13)||Cort estabilished||7 November 1990/XI||Retired|
During the 1988 case Lauriéir v. Talossa, both Justices Lauriéir and Madison were parties to the case, and therefore Robert Murphy and Tom Buffone were chosen as replacements. Buffone would eventually go on to join the Court in his own right in 1997; Murphy, tapped by Lauriéir to replace him on the Court in 1989, was voted down by the Cosa.
This happened again during a case over the 21 January 1989 Living Cosa: Justices Lauriéir (again the plaintiff) and Madison recused and were replaced for the duration of the case by Art Verbotten and Buffone. Verbotten would too be later appointed as a full Justice, serving between 1993-1997 and 1999-2004.
The following are Justices Emeritus of the Uppermost Court - former Justices who are still Talossan citizens. The title has no legal meaning but is sometimes used in signatures and literature.
- Former Puisne Justice Txec Róibeard dal Nordselvă, O.SPM., SMM.;
- Former Senior Justice Ian Tamoran, S.H.;
- Former Senior Justice Sir Cresti M. Siervicül;
- Former Senior Justice Sir Tamorán dal Navâ;
- Former Senior Justice Quedeir, Baron Castiglha;
- Former Puisne Justice Béneditsch Ardpresteir.
List of Senior Justices
|Tenure||Justice||Appointed Justice on||Became Senior||Stepped down||Other Justices while Senior|
|No Senior Justice from 1987 to 1994.|
|1||Weston Erni||Nov 1990/XI (12RZ14)||1994 (position created)||March 1997/XVIII||von Metairia and Verbotten|
|2||Ian von Metairia||1993/XIV (16RZ30)||March 1997/XVIII||Oct 1999/XX||Verbotten, Toumayan, Buffone, Muth and Velméir|
|3||Matthias Muth||Sep 1997/XVIII (23RZ08)||Oct 1999/XX||Oct 2003/XXIV||Velméir and Verbotten|
|4||Cheneþ Velméir||Jun 1998/XIX (24RZ17)||Oct 2003/XXIV||20 Aug 2005/XXVI||Verbotten, von Metairia, Laurieir and Moisan|
|5||The Count Laurieir||23 Aug 2004/XXV (33RZ03)||20 Aug 2005/XXVI||late 2006||von Metairia and Siervicül|
|6||The Duke von Metairia||22 Nov 2005/XXVI (35RZ18)||late 2006||late 2009||Siervicül and Castiglha|
|7||Sir Cresti M. Siervicül, UrN||22 Nov 2005/XXVI (35RZ19)||late 2009||23 May 2012/XXXIII||Castiglha and von Buchholtz|
|8||Sir Tamorán dal Navâ, UrN||31 May 2012/XXXIII (43RZ30)||31 May 2012/XXXIII||21 Jun 2014/XXXV||Asmourescu, Tamoran and Cjantscheir|
|9||Ián M.T. Tamorán, S.H.||31 May 2012/XXXIII (43RZ30)||21 Jun 2014/XXXV||31 Mar 2020/XLI||Cjantscheir, Edwards, Nordselva, Marcianüs and Ardpresteir|
|10||Dame Litz Cjantscheir, UrN||1 Mar 2014/XXXV (46RZ03)||31 May 2020/XLI||current||Edwards and Marcianüs (current court), Nordselva|
- One of the three preexisting seats was vacant due to dal Navâ's retirement.
- The order of the new Justices taking office in the 2012 reshuffle, and who they replaced, was determined by 43RZ30, which appointed, in this precise order, Sir Tamorán dal Nava, Timoþi Asmourescu and Ián Tamorán to the first vacancies available. Having Justice von Buchholtz retired first, dal Nava succeeded him and was made Senior Justice; Justices Siervicül and Castiglha were removed by legislation in the same Clark later that month, so the lower numbered removal bill (Siervicül's) was determined to have vacated the next seat for Asmourescu, and the last vacated seat (Castiglha's) was therefore occupied by Tamoran.
- Immediately made Senior Justice
- Senior Justice after von Metáiriâ (4) quit
- Senior Justice after Laurieir (2) quit
- Senior Justice after Velmeir quit
- Senior Justice after Muth quit
- Senior Justice after von Metáiriâ (1) quit
- Senior Justice after Erni quit
- After passage of 18RZ09 (1994)