Currently, the Túischac'h is appointed by the Secretary of State upon a petition of a majority of the Cosa, while previously, it was appointed by the King after recommendation from the Seneschal. The current Túischac'h is Sir Lüc da Schir MC.
The office of Túischac'h was first created in 1988, but it was only a position filled on an ad hoc basis; the Cosa elected a Túischac'h in the same bill declaring a Living Cosa; Danihel Laurieir was the first to be appointed Túischac'h in such a way, by 8RC25 and then 8RC28. In 1991, the manner of appointment was changed to a Prime Dictate.
In 1993, the Túischac'h was given a casting vote in case of a tie, and a more permanent nature, as it would now be appointed by the Seneschal alongside the Cabinet. Then-Túischac'h John McGarry, later the 19th Seneschal, may thus be considered the first modern officeholder.
The casting vote was presumably abolished as the Constituziun was replaced by the Organic Law, but the method of appointment only changed in recent years, definitively setting on appointment by petition of a majority of the Cosă in 2020, after a similar but more cumbersome provision was put in place and then reversed a few years prior.
- Presides, directs and maintains order during Living Cosas and in other Cosa debates, in an unbiased fashion;
- Reviews legislation to be Clarked as a member ex officio of the Legislative Advisory Committee (CRL);
- Receives Terpelaziuns directed to the Government by Members of the Cosa;
- Represents the Ziu, along with the Mençei, in consultations with the Secretary of State regarding the operation of the Chancery;
- Organizes and conducts the State Opening of the Ziu, along with the Mençei;
- Advises Members of the Cosa of appropriate decorum.
The Túischac'h used to appoint the five members of the Civil Service Committee, which was the only standing committee of the Cosa, but the committee was abolished by the Royal Civil Service (Estabilishment) Act in mid-2018. The Senate equivalent, the Mençei, has a similar power to appoint the Senate's lone standing committee, the Committee on Rules and Administration.
List of Túischac'hs
|Cosă||Member of the Cosa||Party|
|8th||Danihel Laurieir||Not an MC|
|10th||Ián von Metáiriâ||TNP|
|11th||Ián von Metáiriâ||TNP|
|34th||Ian von Metairia||CLP|
|42nd||Sir Xhorxh Pol Briga||RUMP|
|44th||Dame Litz Cjantscheir||RUMP|
|46th||Sir Cresti Siervicül||RUMP|
|47th||Sir Iustì Canun||RUMP|
|48th||M.T. Patritz da Biondeu||FDA|
|49th||Dame Miestrâ Schivâ||FreeDems|
|55th||Txosuè Éiric Rôibeardescù||LCC|
|57th||Sir Alexandreu Davinescu||TNC|
|58th||Sir Lüc da Schir||PT|